Re: Displaying 4/2 as cut common

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Displaying 4/2 as cut common
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 17:25:50 +1000

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 at 14:52, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Brent,

Am 24.06.21 um 03:53 schrieb Brent Annable:
> Just a quick question: is there any way to display a 4/2 time
> signature as cut common? I've tried 4/2, 8/4 and 2/1, but none of them
> seem to default to cut common.

That's a sufficiently common notation (in Renaissance and faux-archaic
music e.g. by later Church composers) that maybe this should be an feature.

But it's not hard to force the desired behaviour. I know of two ways
(and have no idea if one is better than the other):

a) Ask for \time 2/2 and tamper with the measure length.
b) Ask for \time 4/2 and tamper with the printed symbol.

\version "2.22.1"

{
   \time 2/2
   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4/2)
   c'2 2 2 2
}

{
   \time 4/2
   \set Timing.timeSignatureFraction = 2/2
   c'2 2 2 2
}

Lukas

The first solution creates unexpected beaming, so I would vote for the second:

\version "2.22.1"

\relative c'
{
   \time 2/2 % (first solution)
   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4/2)
   c8 c c c c c c c
   d d d d d d d d
   e e e e e e e e
   f f f f f f f f
}

It would be a good standard feature to have—I use it all the time.

Vaughan