lilypond-user

Re: struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional

From: Sam Roberts
Subject: Re: struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional to time
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2021 10:50:00 -0700

Sorry for the delayed response. unsetting the ragged and adding the
terminating thingy (sorry, don't know its name), looks better, thanks!
But it still doesn't get me what I'd call "proportional".

I'd like the horizontal space taken by these 3 bars to be
***exactly*** the same, since they each take exactly 3 ticks on the
metronome to play:

\time 3/4
a4 a a |
a2 a4  |
a2.      |

But the way they are rendered, the whitespace gets tweeked so the more
notes that are drawn in the bar, the wider it gets, and all three end
up being different lengths.

I've searched the docs, and I'm trying to use

\set proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)

but I'm finding the documentation difficult to understand, and the
variants I've tried don't seem to do anything to the layout.