How do I do a transition between a grouped and a non-grouped part (examp

From: Daniel Benjamin Miller
Subject: How do I do a transition between a grouped and a non-grouped part (example attached)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:46:28 -0400

Hi all,

I want to replicate this feature, often found in manually-engraved vocal scores. Although the feature I am talking about should be obvious from the images, I will attempt to describe it. Basically, the staff group starts partway through a system, as we switch from a solo to a choral part. If necessary, another staff appears (filled with rests as appropriate).

I know it is possible to insert a [ bar manually (although I cannot quite figure out how to do this in a way that looks like a staff group across staffs). Since the staff grouping needs to continue in the following systems, and since I don't want to manually break my score, I don't think that's a reasonable option either.

The solution I have been trying to work out essentially involves trying to having the systems all be part of the staff group, but to suppress the engraving of the staff group bracket where appropriate (or something like that?). Still, it's proven to be a bit too intricate for me.

Has anyone else done this? I know there are some of you who have greater expertise, and I'm probably not the first person to at least try to include this element in a score.

All the best,
Daniel