lilypond-user

Question about Lilypond and meterless/free time music

From: ariel
Subject: Question about Lilypond and meterless/free time music
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 08:59:54 +0200

Hello !

I have a question about whether Lilypond can manage a certain type of notation.

I happen to love a lot of music that is completely free time/ad libitum/rubatto/recitativo....so I am curious about different ways to notate music that has no rythmic pattern, no concept of measures, beats.

I recently found in a book this transcription of a lute solo ( see the attachment), where instead of measure bars the pentagram has marks indicating seconds into the recording. it reminds me a bit of an old piano scroll. The horizontal axis is in time, not measures.

My question is can I make a score like that using Lilypond ?

thanks,

Ariel//