Re: Persian music package

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Persian music package
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 00:54:40 +0200

Am Sa., 31. Juli 2021 um 19:42 Uhr schrieb Kees van den Doel <kvdoel@gmail.com>:

> A decade ago I wrote the attached header persian.ly which supports Persian
> music notation + microtuning.
> A hack with a downloaded font is necessary as the Persian microtonal symbols,
> the koron and sori are not available in Lilypond,
> Strange, as these have been standard for over a century and there is a
> substantial body of music written requiring it.
> I'm still getting occasional requests for the package and I've used it to
> transcribe and compose many hours of Persian traditional music.
>
> At the time it was version 2.12.2 and I took a snapshot of that version with
> the additional fonts already installed and an "example" directory to
> illustrate usage of persian.ly.
>
> Available at https://persianney.com/misc/LilyPond.zip
>
> It does not work anymore with current Lilypond version: when compiling
> provided  example (after copying font files as documented in persian.ly) it
> trips over
>
> "(ly:parser-set-note-names parser pitchnames)"
>
> but that may not be all. I noticed there is no type1 directory anymore in the
> current Lilypond version.
>
> Anyone have an idea on how I can get it to work with current version?  It
> works perfectly fine with the old version, but it is a bit annoying to be
> forced to use 2.12.
>
> Thanks,
> Kees

Hi Kees,

I'm using released 2.23.3 on 64-bit Ubuntu-20.04

I've copied "MicroTxt.pfb" into
"lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf" and run "convert.ly
-e" over shur.ly and persian.ly
No idea why "glyph-name-alist" was not converted to
"alteration-glyph-name-alist" (an oversight?), had to do it manually.
Some other small adjustments ...
Now it works with 2.23.3

Nota bene: I only made it work, I did _not_ review any other code.

Files attached

HTH,
  Harm