Re: Persian music package

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Persian music package
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 18:10:03 +0200

Am So., 1. Aug. 2021 um 20:13 Uhr schrieb Kees van den Doel <kvdoel@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 10:40 AM Kees van den Doel <kvdoel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Aug 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Furthermore I'd replace the override for Accidental.extra-offset by:
>>>     \override Accidental.Y-offset =
>>

>> Typo I assume and you mean "\override Accidental.extra-offset ="?
>>

>>>       #(lambda (grob)
>>>           (cdr
>>>             (assoc-get
>>>               (ly:grob-property grob 'alteration)
>>>               persianStringsOffsets)))
>>>
>> That doesn't work because now you take the cdr twice. I think (assoc-get ...
>> is the same as (cdr (assoc .. isn't it?
>> But assoc-get without cdr is nicer of course, didn't know about that.
>

> No that doesn't work, I must not understand something. Can you explain why
> you suggest the change? If I keep the cdr as in your example it runs but
> offsets are no longer right.  It works fine with assoc.
>
> Cheers,
> Kees

Well, I overlooked you defined an alist for use with extra-offset,
requiring pairs. Whereas I proposed not to move accidentals in X-axis,
but only in Y-axis direction. Thus Y-offset requiring only a number.

Alas, I feel it's all a bit clumsy, instead I followed Hans advice to
use smufl-glyphs.
A _partial_ and basic rewrite of your persian.ly is attached (with examples).
I use stuff from
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/custom-music-fonts/smufl/definitions.ily
and
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/custom-music-fonts/smufl/smufldata.ily

You will need the Bravura-font, downlaodable at:
http://www.smufl.org/fonts/
(put it in lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/)
and the mapping file smufldata.ily, attached as well.

Hope I didn't forget anything.
If anything is not working it may be not implemented yet...
If so (or a different problem), please post the failing example as a
compilable ly-file

Cheers,
  Harm