Re: Line breaking issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Line breaking issue
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 21:24:56 +0200

Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> writes:

> Hello Rachel,
>
> As others have said before, the Beam syntax is wrong, you need to specify
>
> Note[ note note note]
>
> Instead of
>
> [note note note note]
>
> (the same way as slurs work). The big problem here is that Lilypond by
> default
> forbids breaks during Beams, which is normally only relevant when you do have
> Beaming over Measures. But in your case Lilypond is so confused, that it
> basically does not know exactly, where the beams are. So it thinks you have a
> beam going on when you haven’t. Fix the beams and it will work! If
> everythings
> works, Lilypond will in fact break this by itself, without you telling it to.
>
> Just a remark: You are using \voiceOne and \oneVoice for what I assume to be
> different hands. This is not good, as \oneVoice will change it’s behaviour
> depending on the note position, so if you were to change the clef or
> transpose
> the piece or something this might change the direction. Instead you can
> either
> use \voiceOne/\voiceTwo or \stemUp/\stemDown.

\stemUp/\stemDown is pretty much always a very bad idea to use in
anything but the definitions of more complex voice-changing commands
that also cater for notehead collision strategies and other stuff.

It was probably a mistake to make those explicit commands rather than
requiring them to be entered as overrides.

--
David Kastrup