Uke tab questions

From: Paulo Matos
Subject: Uke tab questions
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 23:52:43 +0200

Hi,

I have just started using lilypond to transcribe some music and automatically get an ukulele tablature for it.

I am a bit surprised by some fingering choices. For example, a simple scale starting in middle-c:

\version "2.22.0"

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
}

ukulele = \relative c' {
  \global
  c cis d dis e f fis g gis a ais b c cis d dis e f fis g gis a ais b c
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup \with {
    \consists "Instrument_name_engraver"
    instrumentName = "Ukulele"
  } <<
    \new Staff \with {
      midiInstrument = "acoustic guitar (steel)"
    } \ukulele
    \new TabStaff \with {
      stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
    } \ukulele

  \layout { }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4=100

I am surprised that with this example, none of the notes show up as being played in the G string. The G string seems to be the obvious string to play for the high (above middle-c) G (open G string), as well as the high G# (G string 1st fret). Why were these not chosen?

Regarding chords I was also surprised by lilypond. The simple A7 chord is generally played on an ukulele by simply strumming all strings and pressing the C string on the first fret. Yet, when doing:

\version "2.22.0"

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
}

ukulele = {
  \chordmode { a:7 }
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup \with {
    \consists "Instrument_name_engraver"
    instrumentName = "Ukulele"
  } <<
    \new Staff \with {
      midiInstrument = "acoustic guitar (steel)"
    } \ukulele
    \new TabStaff \with {
      stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
    } \ukulele

  \layout { }
  \midi {
    \tempo 4=100

Which I expect to typeset (or do you say engrave?) an A7 chord, it shows A string fret 10, E string fret 12, C string fret 13 and nothing on the G string with the warning:

/tmp/frescobaldi-knffjkxj/tmpw0203nsz/HighG-Ukulele-Chords.ly:9:16: warning: No string for pitch #<Pitch a' > (given frets (13 12 10))

  \chordmode {

               a:7 }

What's going on here?

Thanks for lilypond btw - it's pretty impressive.

--

Paulo Matos