Re: Non-numeric page number

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: Non-numeric page number
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 14:04:07 +0100

I've finally got this working as it should.  What caught me out was that
the documentation uses \ to introduce the procedures following
\on-the-fly, and this works with the ones that start with a letter, e.g.
\last-page, so there's no obvious reason to doubt it; but this doesn't
work with \(on-page n), which gives a syntax error.  However, I noticed
that you used # instead of \ for the procedures, and when I tried that
instead, the #(on-page n) was accepted and sprung into life!
   evenHeaderMarkup = \markup {
     \on-the-fly #(on-page 2) \fill-line{ \fromproperty
#'page:page-number-string \null \null }
     \on-the-fly #(on-page 4) \fill-line{ \fromproperty
#'page:page-number-string \null \null }
     \on-the-fly #(on-page 6) \fill-line{ \null \null "5a" }
   }

It's not as slick as it could be if there was a "not" option, but by
specifying each page individually it is a pretty general solution, and
really not a lot of trouble, at least for scores of this size.

Regards,
Paul