Re: How does this software run on macOS 11 with arm64 architecture?

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: How does this software run on macOS 11 with arm64 architecture?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 15:19:52 +0200

On 25 Aug 2021, at 15:01, Thomas Wu <ixnij.wu@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear friends,

I cannot find a binary package for arm64 and macOS 11 on the official website. I don't know how to compile this software on my platform.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks,
Thomas Wu

Hi Thomas,

From it's status page it appears that you would be able to use the MacPorts version of Lilypond also on the M1-based Apple systems (listed there as Big Sur (arm64)) - cannot confirm myself that it works for M1 systems as I'm still on my trustworthy "late 2013" Intel MacBook.

Stable release:
Development version:

Requires some familiarity with the command-line shell, but is pretty straightforward if you have that. For the latest up-to-date package, once MacPorts is installed it would be as simple as 'sudo port install lilypond' to get the stable version installed.

Note that typically with MacPorts you would be installing/upgrading to 'latest available stable/development version'. Using MacPorts to install a historical version can be done but requires some more advanced usage (there's documentation in the macports project site if you really need it, but my advice would be to go with the latest stable or development release)

kind regards,
Hans