Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Re: Concert pitch question (confused ex-tuba player)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:58:07 -0400

        Trombone player here.

        You and I play instruments that are in concert pitch.  This means that
when you & I look at a C printed on the page, and move our fingers/slide/lips
to play it, a C comes out of our horns.

        A part for a “Trumpet in B-flat” is written differently.  When a
musician playing a “B-flat trumpet” looks at a printed C on the page and plays
it, a concert B-flat comes out.  If you wanted to rewrite such a part to be in
concert pitch so that you or I could play it as intended, you would have to
rewrite it with all the notes lowered by a major second;  so all the written Cs
would be rewritten as B-flats (and we would play them as B-flats), all the
written Cs would become Ds, and so forth.

        Similarly, when someone playing a “Horn in F” part plays a written C,
their instrument sounds an F.  To rewrite it for a trombone or tuba in concert
pitch, you would need to lower all the notes in the part by a perfect fourth.

        As an aside:  don’t get confused between the fact that your tuba plays
a B-flat on an open fingering (or that my trombone plays a B-flat when my slide
is all the way in.)  This has nothing to do with the “transposition key” of
your instrument.  Most trumpets, when they play an open fingering, sound a
B-flat just like we do.  It’s just that they label their notes differently on
the page, and what you & I call a “B-flat” they call a “C” instead.
        By the above system, you play “Tuba in C” and I play “Trombone in C”,
because when we see a C on the page, a C is what comes out of our horns.  It’s
just that they're never called this because we don’t ever have transposing
parts.  (You will occasionally see “Trumpet in C” or “Horn in C” parts;  this
means that those parts are written in concert pitch.)

        Finally, note that trumpet players are perfectly used to this
transposition, to the extent that “C trumpet” parts (i.e. trumpet parts in
concert pitch) are a rarity and a nuisance, particularly if you’re not used to
older orchestral repertoire.  If you’re planning to give this part to a trumpet
player, leave it as it is;  they’ll know what to do with it.  Horns are more
used to doing weird transpositions on the fly, but “Horn in F” is still the
most common, so there’s no real need to transpose this for them either.  The
only reason to transpose these parts into concert pitch would be to play it
with other concert-pitch instruments (like other low brass players.)

        Take care,

        Mike Seifert
        Quaker Hill, CT, USA