Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)

From: Jefferson Felix
Subject: Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 06:48:27 -0300

I asked lilypond-devel before merging lilypond into homebrew, and they didn't notice known bugs with guile 2 - they already fixed all known issues.
The strict homebrew core rules don't agree on using guile 1.8, unless severe bugs exist and make it impossible to use (they don't have this version, unlike the Mac ports).
I know Mac ports use guile 1.8, and other Linux distributions also do, but these arguments were insufficient for the homebrew core team to agree with this version.

Em ter., 5 de out. de 2021 06:15, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> escreveu:

> The Homebrew version will probably not be officially supported by the
> Lilypond team as it uses Guile 2, but it is a simple and elegant new
> way to install Lilypond.

I'm not authorised to speak for the Lilypond team (which I'm not really
a part of anyway), but maybe I can elaborate a bit:

In theory, the use of Guile 2 makes this "release" of LilyPond
substantially different from the official LilyPond builds for other
platforms, so it's even less guaranteed that this version does what you
expect it to do than it's the case the official builds (which isn't even
possible, since the GPL already contains a statement to that effect anyway).
But in practice, I would expect this release to work very well (having
used an experimental Guile22 build on Linux for quite a while in my
everyday work earlier this year) and its availability to be a very
exciting development for macOS users.

I'm also positive that the LilyPond team would very much appreciate bug
reports from users of this new Guile-2 build, as there has been a
substantial amount work to make LilyPond ready to be built with Guile 2
in the first place (and perhaps support it officially at some point in
the future).

Lukas