Re: Time signatures for all parts

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Time signatures for all parts
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 16:11:52 +0200

Erika Pirnes <erika.pirnes@hotmail.com> writes:

> I asked about adding time signature changes into a variable that can
> be used by all instrument parts. The solution below (by Christian)
> worked perfectly, but I don't recommend adding bar checks into the
> variable. I did that and it caused the multi-measure rest compression
> not to work.

That is expected behavior.  Multi-measure compression only applies
across uninterrupted time spans, and the only way to skip a large time
span without interruption is to use a single skip, like s1*5 (which
leaves no space for bar checks in the middle, but since your skip amount
will usually be a whole multiple of bars, that is not all that necessary
anyway).  Since a multi-measure rest could not span a region where other
staves have content, that "without interruption" criterion applies
across the whole score.

The time track will rarely need bar checks since it is kind of unusual
for it to have any mid-bar content (I'll grant that some of my own
scores recently violated that by having a programmatic slowdown for
"rit." in the MIDI part).  Note that bar checks in the time track don't
help with checking parallel content since mistakes in parallel content
don't affect the timing and the bar checks in the time track.

--
David Kastrup