Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?

From: Kira Garvie
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Lilypond?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 18:58:21 -0400

What I was told is that there are some features on the back-end of the program that turns the Lilypond scores into manipulatable scores for the company that doesn't play well with some of the newer updates to Lilypond. So I can have more than one Lilypond program downloaded, my computer won't care?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 6:50 PM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Kira Garvie <kgarvie@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I saw this referenced in the Frescobaldi manual, but is it possible to have
> multiple versions of Lilypond installed on my computer at once? Many of you
> know I have to use version 2.16.2 for my work (don't ask me why, I honestly
> don't know),

That's more than 8 years old.  Does _anybody_ actually know?

> but I would like to use a more recent version for some other engraving
> jobs. And can I use an older version of Frescobaldi with a newer
> version of Lilypond?  Thank you!  Best, Kira

As far as I understand, Frescobaldi supported using multiple versions of
LilyPond for a long time now.  Of course, an older version of
Frescobaldi will not know about newer syntax features (like pitchless
music for percussion entry and a number of other things).

--
David Kastrup