Re: Early (very early) project: The Celtic Song Book (c) 1928

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Early (very early) project: The Celtic Song Book (c) 1928
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:54:54 -0500

On Wed 27 Oct 2021 at 14:59:43 (-0400), Kevin Cole wrote:
> I've mentioned before that I (a) don't read music, and (b) am pretty
> much a beginner with LilyPond.
>
> Before I make TOO many mistakes, and make a royal mess of things, I
> thought I'd offer up the three wee songs I've entered thus far.

They're really well presented scores. Were I setting them, I'd make a
couple of tweaks:

. placing the "3" of triplets above the stave, and
. adding lyric extenders, like so:

words = \lyricmode {
  A __ blos -- som there blows
  That scoffs at the snows,
  And fa -- ces, root -- fast,
  The rage of the blast;
  Yet sweet -- ens a sod
  No slave ev -- er trod,
  Since the moun -- tains up -- reared
  Their al -- tars to God.
  That flow'r of the free
  Is __ the hea -- ther, the __ hea -- ther! It
  springs where the sea And the land leap to -- geth -- er. Six
  Na -- tions are we, Yet be -- neath its bright fea -- ther,
  To -- day we are one __ Where -- so -- ev -- er we be.
}

I think you had already intended to place a lyric extender on "one"
in the last line, but left out the space. The result was that the
two underscores were interpreted as fixed-width spaces, which just
happen to have no effect here.

Cheers,
David.