Re: "abbreviations" as found in a Rubanks Intermediate Method book

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: "abbreviations" as found in a Rubanks Intermediate Method book
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 11:17:26 +0100

Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Carl;
>
>   When I try this tremolo with the colons, it displays fine, but midi
> sounds as if there is no abbreviation. Of course, I see that the colon
> syntax is not supported for midi with Lilypond.
>
>   So I try the same with the \repeat tremolo syntax, it displays fine,
> but the midi sounds as if there is no abbreviation.  It does say that
> midi should be supported by the \repeat tremolo syntax, but I'm not
> experiencing that.
>
>   So, what am I doing wrong? (Mac, Apple Silicon, homebrew Lilypond).

The default MIDI does not implement tremolo.  \repeat tremolo can be
expanded using \unfoldRepeats and colon notation can be expanded using
the \articulate music function from articulate.ly .

Long tremolo passages like drum rolls can gain structure from employing
the very recent Beat_performer , changing a homogenuous machine gun
pattern into a structured machine gun pattern.  Which considerably
improves the value as practice material though it does not really make
it performance quality.

In short: you are doing nothing wrong, LilyPond's default behavior is
insufficient but there are a few aids available for getting something
better out.

--
David Kastrup