Re: Check if a font is currently installed

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: Check if a font is currently installed
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 00:08:45 +0100

> On 22 Nov 2021, at 23:31, Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> wrote:
>
> Hello Paolo,
>
> This behaviour actually comes from font-config and not from Lilypond. It is
> somewhat sensible, since we want to be able to specify a font intuitively and
> not by some set identifier.
Somewhat sensible… but someone should teach Fontconfig some manners…

aikebah@Rajah Trial % fc-match "Clearface Gothic LT Std"
ClearfaceGothicLTStd-Roman.otf: "Clearface Gothic LT Std" "55 Roman"
aikebah@Rajah Trial % fc-match "Clearface Gothic LT"
Verdana.ttf: "Verdana" "Regular"

I would consider "Clearface Gothic LT Std” a MUCH better match than Verdana,
but fontconfig disagrees

So I can also perfectly see the sense in Paolo’s quest for checking if the
selected font appears to be what he attempted to configure.