Re: Updating alists

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Updating alists
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 15:08:36 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> For stuff like
>

> midiDrumPitches.ridecymbal = fis,,
> midiDrumPitches.ridecymbala = b
> midiDrumPitches.ridecymbalb = a
> midiDrumPitches.crashcymbal = g
>

> \midi
> {
>   \context {
>     \Score
>     drumPitchTable = #(alist->hash-table midiDrumPitches)
>   }
> }
>
> you'll get across-session bleed of assignments when making them
> destructive.  Another option is, of course, to do what amounts to an
> in-place modification of a structural copy.

As a note aside regarding this code excerpt: we should really support
more than just the default drum kit of the MIDI2.0 standard.  The
standard defines something like 10 different drum kits.

And as a note very much aside: an arranger manual from Ketron confused
me without end with a "special parameter" SysEx entry (apparently a
translation oversight) listed as "selezione mappa batteria" with the
possibilities "new MS series" and "old MS series" because the obvious
translation "battery" is also corroborated by web translators.  I think
it was at least a year after I first puzzled over this entry that I
thought of the different meaning "battery" may have in English (and
"Batterie" in German hasn't) to figure out the manual was talking about
a drum kit selection.

--
David Kastrup