Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation

From: David Zelinsky
Subject: Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 16:14:01 -0500

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> There is an ongoing proposal to add syntax highlighting
> in LilyPond's documentation. Since it is a notable change
> to the documentation reading experience, user feedback would
> be appreciated. You can browse a syntax-highlighted version
> of the notation manual here:
>
> http://abou-samra.fr/highlighting-demo/notation/index.html
>
> For comparison, this is the current notation manual:
>
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/index.html
>
> The main questions are: what do you think of the principle?
> And is the color scheme good enough?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jean

For the short snippets in the manual, I find the synatx highlighting
more distracting than helpful.  I personally would prefer it without.  I
do use syntax highlighting when editing files and find it very useful,
but that's when there are large blocks of code, and the highlighting is
helpful for visually parsing it.

-David