Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 22:42:14 +0100

[Aaron]

On 2022-01-04 11:32 am, Jean Abou Samra wrote:

Always best to consult a lawyer on legal matters.

The wife of my cousin is actually a lawyer.
Sadly (but very happily in fact), she gave
birth yesterday, so she will not be in a position
to answer before a while :-)

My layman understanding is that GDPR generally deals with information that passes through servers that might be retained without offering some form of end-user control.  Use of localStorage, rather than cookies, should mean no settings ever need to be sent to the server.  Users are entirely in control of this local data, although I suppose some browsers make it easier to access than others.

For those with privacy or security concerns, the web site source still remains entirely auditable as everything with styling is done local on the browser.  And the code in question should be so trivial that there is no need to minify/uglify it, so that preserves readability and hopefully earns some trust that we are not doing anything shady.

That would also be my expectation, but see below.

Other than that, well, there is still JavaScript.
That's may not be the thing to be most happy about, but
we could check how LibreJS handles that JavaScript,
possibly adding stylized license comments, so that
it would be no problem to those people refusing non-free
JavaScript using LibreJS/IceCat. All in all this approach
does look promising to me.

I think I am not understanding the concerns around licensing.

Me neither :-)

Basically, the root is this:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

And this gives a bunch of advice for indicating
JavaScript code licenses:

https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/free-your-javascript.html

Whatever your or my opinion, LilyPond is part of
GNU, so it has to stand with the FSF. Therefore
it is important to keep the website working with
LibreJS.

But I'm probably fretting for something that is
very easy in the end.

At the end of the day, if someone does not want to use JavaScript, then the functionality will not work. We should make sure the default behavior of the site is sound for such cases, so no one feels they have to enable JS if they do not wish.  That might mean the standard styling needs to be black and white if that creates the least friction for users.

If we add a toggle for switching highlighting on and
off, then the next question will of course be what
the default should be. Without surprise, I would prefer
if it were on by default, but I wouldn't mind the
other way.