Re: warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 00:00:40 +0100

Le 12/01/2022 à 23:49, Kenneth Wolcott a écrit :
HI Carl;

   There are many pieces of music in the Baroque, Classic and Romantic
periods where the same block of music is repeated without an
alternative.

   This particular example is a simplified version/arrangement of a Chopin
Waltz.

   The problem goes away when I disabled the forced line breaks, so I
do think that there is a problem here, although it is an annoyance,
not severe.

   There is no problem with the bar checks after I disable the forced
line breaks.

While bar checks are one frequent cause of inability
to honor a break, there can be others. Carl already
mentioned note extending their duration across the
break. One other is an explicit beam or one of the
other spanners that are unbreakable by default. So
this won't work:

\version "2.22.1"

{
  c'2.. 8[
  \break
  8] 2..
}

whereas this will:

\version "2.22.1"

{
  \override Beam.breakable = ##t
  c'2.. 8[
  \break
  8] 2..
}

The same happens with, e.g., glissandi. You can
similarly issue \override Glissando.breakable = ##t
(etc.). An example is here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/line-breaking

There is no position information in the diagnostic
just because it is a bit inconvenient to do internally,
as there can be a number of reasons why a break
is disabled, and the information will come from different
sources depending on the cause. It might be possible,
though. My own take, however, would be to make \break
override all kinds of restrictions altogether and
just do what the user requested explicitly.

Best,
Jean