Re: Entering Chords using Nashville Number System

From: Amelie Protscher
Subject: Re: Entering Chords using Nashville Number System
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 22:02:56 +0100

Hi Valentin,

Nashville Numbers came up repeatedly on this list in the last years. I'm
also a huge fan and would like to see them implemented.

Altered degrees are written b3 or #4 in the Nashville system. Chord
modifiers are as per normal. But there are also rhythmic markers that
should be included if the system is used standalone, i.e. not above a staff.

They include the dot (symbolizing a beat in an unevenly divided
measure), the underline connecting two chords in an evenly divided
measure, the diamond (a "long break" where you let the chord ring until
the next symbol), the marcato (a "short break" where you play the chord
staccato and take a rest until the next symbol), the "<" sign saying
that the chord is to be played 1/8 ahead of the bar line, the
corresponding "<<" (1/16th ahead) and a few more.

This is a great introduction:
https://www.amazon.de/Song-Charting-Made-Easy-Play-Along/dp/1423463676

Greetings,

Amy

--
Dr. Amelie Protscher (amy@amelieprotscher.com)
Pianist, Bassist, Guitarist, Composer, Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 25, 14548