Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Lilypond's English Horn MIDI instrument is non-transposing?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 09:11:54 +0000

On 15/01/2022 03:01, James B. Wilkinson wrote:
1) why do I need  "\transpose f c \tenor" instead of "\transpose f c' \tenor"? If I use c' it goes an octave too high.

\transpose f c' is transposing UP a fifth, it will play a fifth higher than written.
\transpose f c takes it down a fourth.

I guess it's written in treble clef, so for a tenor voice you will want to take it down.

The first note is the input value, the second value is the note that is output, and each octave starts at C going up. So the ' octave starts with middle C (c') and goes up the treble clef, while the plain unaltered octave starts with C in the bass clef (c), and goes up to but does not include middle C.

Cheers,
Wol