Re: fonts on windows

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: fonts on windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:52:38 -0800

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 9:55 PM Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilypond@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:21 PM Flaming Hakama by Elaine <elaine@flaminghakama.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm setting up an new lilypond environment
on a surface pro running windows 10
using VSCode as an editor,
and cygwin as a terminal.

I am not able to get lilypond to use my fonts yet.

I was able to install them in windows itself,
since I can see them in the windows Fonts Settings.

To do this, I did some dragging & dropping,
and some using "right-click > install" in the file navigator.

But when I compile my lilypond files,
the resulting files do not use the fonts.

When I run "lilypond -dshow-available-fonts",
while it does list numerous fonts,
it does not list the fonts I installed.

Specifically, I am using "Highlander ITC TT"
for chord symbols.
This is how I specify it, and this works on my other systems:

  #(define fonts
    (make-pango-font-tree "Marker Felt"
                          "Highlander ITC TT"
                          "LilyJAZZText"
                           (/ myStaffSize 20)))

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get lilypond to find these fonts?

FWIW, I'm running 2.23.2 on this machine, but I'm on 2.19.81 on my other machines.

I have a couple of suggestions, but I must first ask, where did you get the Highlander font by the name "Highlander ITC TT"? I can't find a (legitimate) font anywhere by that name, so my first guess is that you're using the wrong font family name. Secondly, if it is the correct name, because it works with your other machines, then I suggest clearing the local machine's font cache. This is easily done. Open a windows explorer window and navigate to your user folder. Make sure you can see "hidden" files and you should see a folder with the word ".lilypond-fonts" in the name. Go in there and delete everything. Next time LilyPond runs, it will take a little bit more time because it is recreating a fresh font cache. So, assuming the font files you want to use are installed properly in C:\Windows\Fonts, then you should be able to access them now. Let me know if that's not the case.

Best,
Abraham

As to your first question,

Either these fonts came from having bought an app like
FrameMaker, In Design, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Or I got it from a free font site.

I don't recall specifically.

In general, I have been accumulating them over many years,
and have been porting my set of useful fonts from box to box.

The different family members of this font
show up in the Windows fonts control panel as:

Highlander ITC TT Bold
Highlander Md ITC TT Medium
Highlander Md OS ITC TT Medium
Highlander Md SC ITC TT Medium
Highlander OS ITC TT Bold

Not sure if that clarifies anything
about the provenance of this font.

In any case, I tried clearing out the directory with "lilypond-fonts" in it.
Which, in my case, is called lilypond-fonts.cache-2

However, that does not appear to have an effect.

That directory does get repopulated when I run lilypond again.

But lilypond still does not find the font,
either by using it in the doc,
or listing in with lilypond -dshow-available-fonts

To see if it had something specifically to do with this font,
I also tried to add a new free font,
and was able to add it to Windows fonts,
but it also did not show up in lilypond.

https://www.1001freefonts.com/blue-highway-d-type.font

Thanks for the help.

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator