Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Engraving chords with the same note twice, but different accidentals
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 11:47:21 -0500

Hi all,

> Speaking as a keyboard player (and lilypond novice) I would recommend
> re-spelling the a flat as a g sharp! Sometimes, theory has to take a backseat
> to readability.

If theoretical correctness (or, say, accuracy to a previous source) isn't a
requirement, then I agree with Charlie: this is a moment in which, as a
keyboard player, I'd much rather see two different notes [by pitch name].

Otherwise, I'd say the split-stem convention is [perhaps counterintuitively?!]
more readable for me. If you want to do this in Lilypond, I'm pretty sure Harm
has solved this particular issue (see e.g.,
https://archiv.lilypondforum.de/index.php/topic,1176.msg6932.html#msg6932).

Cheers,
Kieren.