Alternative to \parallelMusic?

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Alternative to \parallelMusic?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:27:28 -0500

Hi,

I have a score with a lot of sections as shown in the attached PNG. I
see something like what I want to achieve at the end of the section on
\parallelMusic:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#writing-music-in-parallel

My first thought, to avoid inserting rests, was simply to have the
same notes appearing in both voices except for where they deviate.
However, that resulted in sometimes placing the notes consecutively
rather than concurrently. For example, I ended up with two whole notes
in one measure.

But as has been mentioned on this list before, there are often
multiple ways to tackle problems. So, I'm wondering if there's
something a bit more intuitive, simpler, etc. to get the first of the
four beamed eighth notes in the second measure to line up with the
half notes.