Re: Please tear apart this example lead sheet template for traditional W

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Please tear apart this example lead sheet template for traditional Western folk tunes
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 08:17:40 +0100

Le 22/02/2022 à 03:09, Tom Campbell a écrit :
I am about to transcribe a bunch of older Western folk music in lead sheet form for an open source tunebook.

Nice to hear that!

Am trying to create a robust template so I don't have to think too much about anything other than getting the notes, chords, and lyrics right. You can see it below, or rendered by the invaluable Lilybin at http://lilybin.com/u6p5m8/8.

Can you tell me what's bad about this as a template? The lead sheets will contain chord names and guitar fretboard diagrams. Added a crucial (for me) section overriding the predefined guitar fretboard diagram for a chord. I also took too long to figure out how to get pickup notes in a format that seemed natural.

Thanks!

% Lead sheet with:
% - Guitar fretboard diagrams
% - Override a predefined fretboard diagram
% - Pickup note with text above it suppressed
% - Chord and other text suppressed above the pickup note
%%%% Please send critiques totomcampbell@gmail.com
\version "2.18.2"

Before starting, how about upgrading? LilyPond 2.18 is
8 years old, there have been many improvements in the
meantime, and if you ask for help on the lists, people
will be testing snippets in their replies with newer
versions.

\include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly <http://predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly>"

% Override predefined fretboard for e minor.
% This just adds a G to the first (highest) string.
% A little contrived but it's brief.
\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table \chordmode { e:m }
#guitar-tuning
#"o;2-2;2-3;o;o;3-4;"

\header {
title = "Hit and Miss (Daphne)"
composer = "Trad."
}

theMelody = \relative c {
  \clef treble
  \key e \minor
  \time 6/8

% Pickup note
  \partial 8 e'8

% Verse melody (truncated for clarity)
g4 a8 b4 e8
d8. e16 fis8
e4 b16 c

}

theLyrics = \lyricmode {
When Daph -- ne from fair
  Phoe -- bus did fly the --
}

theChords = \chordmode {
% Replace the N.C. that would appear over
% the pickup note
\set noChordSymbol = ""

\once \set?

Best,