Re: inconsistent \RemoveEmptyStaves action

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: inconsistent \RemoveEmptyStaves action
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 22:32:16 +0000

On 2/22/22, 3:29 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Lukas-Fabian Moser"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
lfm@gmx.de> wrote:

    Hi Simon,

    > This is a minimal example for the issue you were having:
    >
    > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    > \version "2.22.1"
    >
    > upper = { 1 \break 1 }
    > lower = { R1*2 }
    >
    > \score {
    >   \new PianoStaff << \upper \lower >>
    >   \layout {
    >     \context {
    >       \Staff
    >       \RemoveEmptyStaves
    >     }
    >   }
    > }
    > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

    Now that's interesting: For my taste, this is _too_ minimal. I don't
    wouldn't recommend relying on the implicit creation of contexts to turn
    \upper and \lower into staves (as opposed to, for instance, voices).

    So, I would always write

    \new PianoStaff
    <<
       \new Staff \upper
       \new Staff \lower

    Do you consider this inferior (or unnecessarily verbose and therefore
    non-minimal)?

I don't think it makes any difference in this particular situation.  Both work
appropriately.   Personally, I always explicitly instantiate all of my contexts.

Carl