Cannot eliminate layout block in score block?

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Cannot eliminate layout block in score block?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:14:41 -0800

Hello Lilypond friends,

I am working on a polyphone piece of music which employs a ChoirStaff, and proceeded to make a local layout block in the score a global one.

The include to make a global layout block works just fine, but if I eliminate the layout block in the score block itself, the music no longer compiles. Please see the comment starting with % [Help].

Any ideas why this might be? Other pieces where I have only a single voice, I rely only upon the global block from an include, and compules fine without a layout block in the score block.

Files are attached.

\score {

    \midi {

  \tempo 4 = 130

    }

    \new ChoirStaff <<

  \new Staff = "CantusPrimus" \with {

     instrumentName = \markup { \bold "Cantus I" }

     shortInstrumentName = "C.I"

  }

  <<

     \new Voice = "CantusPrimus" <<

  \globalVoice

  \CantusPrimusNotes

  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "CantusPrimus" { \CantusPrimusText }

.

.

.

% [Help] Cannot eliminate this layout block (!)

  \layout {

  } % end layout

} % end Score

Many thanks,