Re: sustain pedal display ugliness, how to fix?

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: sustain pedal display ugliness, how to fix?
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 08:50:40 -0700

Here is an example of using separate contexts for the notes and the
sustain pedal.  I hope it helps:

%%%
\version "2.22.2"

% These are just your bass clef notes
bassNotes = {
  \clef bass
  <c, c>2 q | % m1
  <c, c>2 q | % m2
  \break
  <c, c>2 q | % m3
  <c, c>2 q | % m4
  \break
}

% Here is the first way of dealing with sustain pedals
pedalOne = {
  s2\sustainOn s\sustainOff\sustainOn |
  s2\sustainOff\sustainOn s4.\sustainOff\sustainOn s16 s\sustainOff |
  s2\sustainOn s\sustainOff\sustainOn |
  s2\sustainOff\sustainOn s4.\sustainOff\sustainOn s16 s\sustainOff |
}

% The pedal notes go on a separate dynamics context
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \bassNotes
    \new Dynamics \pedalOne

}

% Here is another strategy for the sustain pedal
pedalTwo = {
  \repeat unfold 4 { s4.\sustainOn s16 s\sustainOff
                     s4.\sustainOn s16 s\sustainOff | }
}

\score {
  <<