Re: Lilyjazz font and Score.markFormatter problem with Lily 2.23.6

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Lilyjazz font and Score.markFormatter problem with Lily 2.23.6
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:08:18 -0500

What I’d like is to have the chord names such Em7 in the lilyjazz font too, though.

Note that I use a very outdated Lilypond version because it works for me just fine; the updates make for changes in input that I just don’t have the time or energy to learn.  I am a part time hobbyist musician with no background in coding, hence my resistance to change.  ;-)  I am also using this on a 9 year old Mac that is a couple of MacOS-es behind, with Frescobaldi as the front-end.  Macs historically have had issues with where the fonts are placed (had to be within the Lilypond directory rather than the usual system font location; that may not be true with newer versions of Lilypond).

This is the whole template for my charts, including some stuff that’s not germane to the discussion.  The template is also pretty old-fashioned and at least 10 years old; there are certainly much better ways to do this.  But it works for me and I can put together charts for the whole band in short order.  I don’t know if it will be helpful to you since it is so outdated.

in \chordmode and \markup, the command

\override ChordNames . ChordName #'font-name = “LilyJAZZText”

invokes the use of the font.  I have always been puzzled as to why fonts for all forms of text (chordnames, markup, etc.) can’t be globally specified with a single statement (maybe it can in newer versions of Lilypond).

in \melody, \jazzOn initiates using the font for notes and glyphs; \jazzOff terminates it and the font goes back to the default.

\version "2.18.2"

#(ly:set-option 'delete-intermediate-files #t)

\paper {
    #(set-paper-size "letter")
    indent = 0.0
    ragged-last = ##f

\header {
    title = \markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
           \fontsize #4  “Title" }
  subtitle = \markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
           \fontsize #2  “Subtitle" }
  composer = \markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
                      “Name" }
  meter = \markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
                      “Groove" }
  copyright = \markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
                       “As Needed" }
}

\include "../../roemer-chords.ly"
\include "../../LilyJAZZ.ily"
% \include "../../multimeasure.ly"
% \include "../../naturalize.scm"

\markup {  \override #'(font-name . "LilyJAZZText")
\fill-line {
\column {
\line { These are used for specifying soloing order }
\line { And other arrangement concerns }
\line { \hspace #0 }

harmonies =  \chordmode {
\override ChordNames . ChordName #'font-name = "LilyJAZZText"
\override ChordName #'font-size = #3
\override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #1

% chords go here

}

melody =    \relative c' {
\jazzOn
\numericTimeSignature
\time 4/4
\clef treble
\key

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-alphabet
% \mark #1

% \override Staff.KeySignature #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
% \override Staff.Clef #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
% \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = begin-of-line-invisible

\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-alphabet
% \mark #1

% melody goes here

}

\score {