Re: installing lilypond-mode for emacs on Linux

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: installing lilypond-mode for emacs on Linux
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 17:39:28 -0500

On Thu 07 Apr 2022 at 22:36:54 (-0700), Paul Scott wrote:
> On 4/7/22 16:17, David Kastrup wrote:
> > Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:

> > > I have Lily 2.22-2 and 2.23.6 installed.
> > Where and how?
>
> 2.22.2: Debian install

I'm only running bullseye, whereas you appear to be running sid.
I can see that the package lilypond-data contains:

$ ls -l /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50lilypond-data.el
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 185 Feb  2  2021
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50lilypond-data.el

Do you have this file? It should set lilypond mode for .ly files.
Were they working already? If not, I can only suggest that something
in your ~/.emacs configuration is interfering with the file's action.

However, you may find that lilypond mode is not being set for .ily
files. If you are the only user, the easiest fix for that may be to add:

(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.ily$" . LilyPond-mode) auto-mode-alist))

to your ~/.emacs file (creating it if absent).

For systems with several users, open the file
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50lilypond-data.el and duplicate
the second line, changing .ly to .ily (which has to be
done as root). On subsequent upgrades, you will need to
confirm that you want to keep your version of that file,
as it's a conffile.

> 2.23.6: .sh file from LilyPond web site.

Cheers,
David.