Re: Non-alignment of lyrics in occasional divisi

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: Non-alignment of lyrics in occasional divisi
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:49:02 +0100

I found a solution: create a null voice and add the lyrics to that instead. Here’s the updated version of the code in my original message, with problem solved.

\version "2.20.0"

\language "english"

#(set-default-paper-size "a4")
#(set-global-staff-size 16.2)

global = \transpose c c {
\key bf \major
\time 3/4
\skip 1*3/4*13
\bar "|."
}

Soprano = \relative c''
{
g4 g4 g8 g8 |
g8 g8 g2 \breathe |
<<
{
\voiceTwo
bf4. bf8 bf4 |
bf4. bf8 bf4 |
bf2
}

\new Voice = SopranoTwo
{
\voiceOne

d4. d8 d4 |
d4. d8 d4 |
d2
}

\oneVoice

r4 |
r4
<<
{
\voiceTwo
bf4 bf4 |
bf2.~ |
bf2
}

\new Voice = SopranoFour
{
\voiceOne

r2
r8 d8 d4 d4 |
d8 d4.
}

\oneVoice

r4 |
R1*3/4 |
R1*3/4 |
r8

<<
\new Voice = SopranoOne
{
\voiceOne
g8 g4 g4 |
g2
}
\new Voice = SopranoTwo
{
\voiceTwo
d8 d4 d4 |
d2
}
\oneVoice

r4 |
g,2. |
}

SopranoAligner = \relative c''
{
g4 g4 g8 g8 |
g8 g8 g2 \breathe |
d'4. d8 d4 |
d4. d8 d4 |
d2 r4 |
r4 bf4 bf4 |
bf2.~ |
bf2
r4 |
R1*3/4 |
R1*3/4 |
r8
d8 d4 d4 |
d2
r4 |
g,2. |
}

Alto = \relative c''
{
% 1
g4 g4 g8 g8 |
g8 g8 g2 \breathe |
% 3
g4. g8 g4 |
g4. g8 g4 |
g2 r4|
% 6
r4 g4 g4 |
g2. ~ |
g2 r4 |
% 9
r4 g4 g4 |
g8 g4. r4 |
% 11
r4
<<
\new Voice = AltoOne
{
\voiceOne
bf4 bf4|
bf2
}
\new Voice = AltoTwo
{
\voiceTwo
g4 g4 |
g2
}
\oneVoice

% 13
r4 |
g2. |
}

AltoAligner = \relative c''
{
% 1
g4 g4 g8 g8 |
g8 g8 g2 \breathe |
% 3
g4. g8 g4 |
g4. g8 g4 |
g2 r4|
% 6
r4 g4 g4 |
g2. ~ |
g2 r4 |
% 9
r4 g4 g4 |
g8 g4. r4 |
% 11
r4
g4 g4 |
g2
% 13
r4 |
g2. |
}

SopranoLyrics = \lyricmode {
This phrase is the nor -- mal bit.
Here the sop -- ra -- no di -- vides.
I sing low __
Sop -- ra -- no words.
Yeah!
}

SopranoFourLyrics = \lyricmode {
and I sing la -- ter.
}

AltoLyrics = \lyricmode {
This phrase is the nor -- mal bit.
Here the sop -- ra -- no di -- vides.
I am bored. __
I am so -- lo.
Al -- to words.
Yeah!
}

AltoOneLyrics = \lyricmode {

}

\score {
<<
\new ChoirStaff
<<
\new Staff = "soprano"
<<
\global
\new Voice="v1"
{
\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "S"
\set Staff.instrumentName = "Soprano"
\clef "treble"
\Soprano
}
\new NullVoice = "SopranoAligner" \SopranoAligner
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "SopranoAligner" \SopranoLyrics
\new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = #"soprano" } \lyricsto "SopranoFour" { \SopranoFourLyrics }

\new Staff = "alto"
<<
\global
\new Voice="v2"
{
\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "A"
\set Staff.instrumentName = "Alto"
\clef "treble"
\Alto
}
\new NullVoice = "AltoAligner" \AltoAligner
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "AltoAligner" \AltoLyrics

}

\paper{
  ragged-last-bottom = ##t
  system-system-spacing =
  #'((basic-distance . 20) (minimum-distance . 0) (padding . 5))
}