Re: Part of staff does not obey alignAboveContext

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Part of staff does not obey alignAboveContext
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 15:52:32 +0200

Dear David,

Il giorno sab 9 lug 2022 alle ore 13:13 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> ha scritto:
> There is no "second part of the ossia staff" in the second example:
> there is a second, independent ossia staff.
> [...]

thanks for the explanation.

I overlooked the fact that there were spacer rests for the whole
length of the piece (in order to keep the context alive) in the \new
Staff = "ossia" in the following example taken from NR 1.6.2:

<<
  \new Staff = "ossia" \with {
    \remove Time_signature_engraver
    \hide Clef
    \magnifyStaff #2/3
  }
  { \stopStaff s1*6 }

  \new Staff \relative {
    c'4 b c2
    <<
      { e4 f e2 }
      \context Staff = "ossia" {
        \startStaff e4 g8 f e2 \stopStaff
      }

    g4 a g2 \break
    c4 b c2
    <<
      { g4 a g2 }
      \context Staff = "ossia" {
        \startStaff g4 e8 f g2 \stopStaff
      }

    e4 d c2
  }

Of course adding spacer rests in the \new Staff = "ossia" in my
example does not work, as it pushes all the following music forward.

In NR 5.1.2 I read the following description of \context:

\context with a name specified will create a distinct context only if
a context of the same type with the same name in the same context
hierarchy does not already exist. Otherwise it will be taken as a
reference to that previously created context, and its music expression
will be passed to that context for interpretation.

This is correct, but gave me the wrong impression that \context could
reference any context that existed at some previous point in the music
and, if needed, prolong it to include the specified music.
Maybe the words "at the current moment" or similar could be added at
the end of the first sentence.

Best wishes.
Davide