Frescobaldi incantation for lilypond docker image?

From: Graham King
Subject: Frescobaldi incantation for lilypond docker image?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:31:13 +0100

I'm looking for a way to run a recent lilypond version on Ubuntu 18.04.

Currently, I have a docker image[1] of lilypond 2.23.10 that I can invoke successfully from the command line, using:

docker run -v $(pwd):/app -w /app jeandeaual/lilypond:devel lilypond foo.ly

The challenge is getting a locally-installed Frescobaldi 3.2 to run this image.

In Frescobaldi's Preferences, I've set the lilypond command to:

docker run -v $(pwd):/app -w /app jeandeaual/lilypond:devel lilypond

But when I try to run lilypond from within Frescobaldi, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py", line 145, in engravePreview

self.engrave('preview')

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py", line 200, in engrave

self.runJob(job_class(doc, args), doc)

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/engrave/__init__.py", line 252, in runJob

job.manager.manager(document).start_job(j)

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/job/manager.py", line 61, in start_job

job.start()

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/job/__init__.py", line 225, in start

self._update_process_environment()

File "/home/xxxx/git/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/frescobaldi_app/job/__init__.py", line 304, in _update_process_environment

se.remove(k) if v is None else se.insert(k, v)

TypeError: arguments did not match any overloaded call:

insert(self, str, str): argument 2 has unexpected type 'bool'

insert(self, QProcessEnvironment): argument 1 has unexpected type 'str'

So, two questions:

1.  How should I set up Frescobaldi to run the docker image?

2.  If I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely, what is the recommended way for Frescobaldi to run lilypond at a more recent version than the distro supplies?

Grateful, as ever, for your insights

-- Graham

[1] from https://hub.docker.com/r/jeandeaual/lilypond