Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Installing Lilypond 2.23.10
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:16:11 +0200

Le 13/07/2022 à 19:04, David Sumbler a écrit :
The last version of Lilypond I installed was 2.23.5.  For that I have a shell script entitled lilypond-2.23.5-1.linux-64.sh , and similar scripts for previous development and stable versions.

Having updated my OS to Ubuntu 22.04 I want to install the latest version.  But now when I click on the link I get the tar.bz2 file direct, and not a shell script which would download and process it for me.  I assume I have to use 'make' etc. to compile things, but I am not very familiar with such matters.

No; you didn't download a source archive but binaries. They are already compiled. There is no installation shell script because _no installation_ is required.

I notice that the link for the stable version 2.22.2 still downloads a shell script.

Is this a change of policy to discourage us less geeky users from using the development version, or am I just missing something?  I admit I haven't used Lilypond at all for some months.

The installation instructions in the learning manual are currently being updated. The procedure could hardly be simpler: unpack the archives, and the binaries are already ready to run!

Regards,
Jean