Questions about ragged-right and margins

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Questions about ragged-right and margins
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:11:15 -0400

Hello All,

I have two questions related to ragged-right.

#1: Is it possible to change the behavior of ragged-right so that rather than a system being an arbitrary length, the length snaps to certain intervals? The out-of-the-box behavior of ragged-right = ##t can result in systems that are minutely different lengths, which isn't particularly attractive. Instead, it would be nice to snap to, say increments of 10% of the maximum line length. I recognize that it's still possible to have two similar-length lines that snap in opposite directions.

#2: Given #1 above, is it possible to set the margins of the score dynamically so that the longest system is centered on the page, and all other systems are left-aligned with it? Ideally, everything outside the score would take the full margin/line length defined in the \paper block.

I'm typesetting a psalter with tune pairings. We want to generally match the layout of a previously published hymnal that was done in Finale with some of the above layout decisions. We're doing this project in LP because the scope of the project (195 psalm paraphrases, each paired and notated with multiple common tunes, prepared in multiple slide and print formats) would be infeasible without the ability to automate the work using LP and a language like Python.

Thanks in advance,
Carl Peterson