Re: Ties between voices

From: Stephan Schöll
Subject: Re: Ties between voices
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 19:27:25 +0200

Hi all

I'm neither a professional engraver nor composer. But I've already tried
to copy scores for my own use.

That's where I got in touch with many "creative" engraving situations.
One might ask how one could engrave something a manual engraver did 100
years ago. And then we have this fantastic list that comes up with ideas
solutions.

But from time to time I encounter things that don't make sense to me
from a semantical perspective. Ties across voices is such a thing. How
would that make sense? Yes, there has been a master in the past who did
it, but nevertheless, it has (in developer speak) has a smell. Should I
omit or correct that in my score? After all ties describe the
relationship between two or several notes within a voice (i.e. that can
be sung).

Just my philosophical 2 cents ;-)

Best regards

Stephan