Re: Ties between voices

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Ties between voices
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 08:03:40 +1000

Gosh. There's no 'smell'. In piano music that has polyphony it is very common, and indeed necessary  to tie across voices. Dorico enables it with ease (and if it did not make sense, I can assure you Dorico which is heavily rule bound would not allow it). Lilypond cannot do it natively. This is well known. Same with slurs, but that is not the present topic. We are not talking about singing, and 'voices' in this context does not relate to the human voice. Perhaps you are conflating sung voices with voices in polyphony for keyboards.

I'll find a few examples to post later on to illustrate.

This has been a long standing limitation with LilyPond, not something that I have suddenly cooked up. I encounter this extensively in the modernist music I set, but I am doing the JSB WTC at the moment and even he does it quite a lot, especially in the four and five part works.

Andrew