Re: An infix syntax for Scheme ...

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: An infix syntax for Scheme ...
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 18:08:42 +0200

Le 10/08/2022 à 18:07, Carl Sorensen a écrit :

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 3:46 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

    <snip>

    To be honest, I have no idea if what I did here is actually a good
    idea
    at all (I for one won't use it). I'm just curious to see. On the
    one hand,
    normal Scheme syntax is used in all Scheme tutorials, in the Guile
    manuals,
    on mailing list snippets, and when printing values, so only using
    Herescheme
    syntax without knowing about basic Scheme syntax is likely tough.
    On the
    other hand, I know Scheme is off-putting to some people just
    because of its
    many parentheses and the "unintuitive" way of placing the operator as
    prefix.

I think it's an amazing piece of work to do this.

But I think it's not a good idea for LilyPond.

If you're going to extend things in LilyPond, you need to understand Scheme (because so much of it is written in Guile).  Herescheme just creates another language to learn (and it's questionable to me that it is easier to learn). While it reads more like english, it doesn't advance the learning of Guile.

I'm not in favor of adding this to LilyPond.

Oh, I never proposed adding it to LilyPond.