Re: Complex vertical positioning (eight items in four bars)

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: Complex vertical positioning (eight items in four bars)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 13:46:31 -0700

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 12:39 PM Kenneth Wolcott
<kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vaughan and Knute;
>
>   I guess what I was asking for is a best practice as the clutter
> there seems a bit much.
>
>   I think I will make a midi-specific version and hide all the
> metronome marks (beyond the initial one) in it.
>
>   That means I need to do "rit.", "accel.", and "a tempo" in place of
> the specified metronome marks.
>
>   I'll gladly implement the suggestion of moving the "D.C. al Coda" to bar
> #131.
>
>   Now no vertical position tweaks are required.
>
>   Then it will be fairly easy to transition the piece from 2.22.2 to
> 2.23.x/2.24x to gain the new repeat segno feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

You can hide the metronome number and note with:

\set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t

Then all those rit. etc. will only affect MIDI.

Looking at the music again, I'm not sure that D.C. al coda isn't in
the right spot, but maybe you need a line break (\break) after it,  or
at least a double bar (\bar "||").  I don't usually engrave music with
codas, so I'm not the best authority.

--
Knute Snortum