Re: Supress Instrument after P. 1

From: Wol
Subject: Re: Supress Instrument after P. 1
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 21:33:13 +0000

On 05/01/2023 20:29, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 at 21:11, Mark Mathias <d8valily@gmail.com <mailto:d8valily@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Partly to duplicate a 1910 popular song layout, and partly to continue growing in LilyPond skill, I'm wanting to suppress the bookTitleMarkup instrument field after page 1.
 >
> I've read the sections on Titles and Headers, Customizing, etc., and other parts of the manual, and I've made a number of attempts, but I'm not yet at the point where I understand what to do.

Hello,

The best way is to look at the definition of oddHeaderMarkup and evenHeaderMarkup in ‘ly/titling-init.ly <http://titling-init.ly>’ and to modify it accordingly. If you comment (or remove) the lines containing \fromproperty #'header:instrument, you get what you want (see below).

\paper {
   oddHeaderMarkup = \markup
   \fill-line {
     ""
     % \unless \on-first-page-of-part \fromproperty #'header:instrument
     \if \should-print-page-number \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
   }
   evenHeaderMarkup = \markup
   \fill-line {
     \if \should-print-page-number \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
     % \unless \on-first-page-of-part \fromproperty #'header:instrument
     ""

And, because it's a system file, you have a choice. Do you want to modify the system file, or do you want to copy it.

I've done this with header.ly or whatever it's called, and while others might disagree, I've got my own copy of this file which I include in my projects (don't remember off the top of my head how I did it).

But imho this is the best way to do it. When the system is updated, your changes don't get over-written. And you remember, because your layout is different from the default, that you have a modified version of a system file.

(My header file lays out the piece title, composer, instrument etc in typical brass band layout which is both noticeably different and more compact from lily's default orchestral layout.)

Cheers,
Wol