Re: \sustainOff on \alternative

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: \sustainOff on \alternative
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 06:51:52 -0800

On 2023-01-06 5:39 am, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
Hi, I am using 2.22.2,
\after 4 \sustainOff b2 r
​is useless, because of *unknown escaped string*

"Useless" sounds a bit harsh.

In the event OP's native language is not English, it might just be unfortunate word choice rather than a criticism of the function's value.

Could you consider upgrading to LilyPond 2.24? That's the current stable version (and my code was written for it). If that's impossible, I can sidestep the use of \after, but frankly, it's easier to help you if you provide a working example yourself.

I am fairly certain David K. wrote \after back in the 2.19 era, so there should be no particular need to run 2.24. I found this version on an old thread:

%%%%
after =
#(define-music-function (t e m) (ly:duration? ly:music? ly:music?)
  #{
    \context Bottom <<
      #m
      { \skip $t <> -\tweak extra-spacing-width #empty-interval $e }

  #})
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill