Re: how would one cross-reference two [or more] books?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: how would one cross-reference two [or more] books?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 21:54:16 +0100

Le 14/01/2023 à 21:51, Jeff Olson a écrit :
On 1/13/2023 1:27 PM, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
LilyPond 2.24.1 is planned for the end of January or early February. Whether it includes this mostly depends on whether Ivan Maidanski has released BDWGC 8.2.3 by then.

Thanks for the update, Jean!  Could you also help me understand what was happening with \page-ref in my original post?  E.g., ...

What causes \page-ref to fail for labels outside of the current \book?

Can the caller of \page-ref predict when it would fail, so as to avoid calling it if it would fail?

Or if you have to let it fail, can the last arg (default) be replaced with a callback that would undo the conversion of a label into a stencil?  I considered checking the output stencil of \page-ref, but doesn't that have specific position info included that would make it difficult to match against?

Why does the "Sav0" invocation of \save-page-refs behave as though it is being called after the "Sav1" and "Sav2" invocations, while, in contrast, the four invocations of \indexItem ("Top", "No.1", "No.2" and "No.3") leave side effects in the index showing their results in the order of appearance?

Clearly Lilypond isn't just "executing" commands to completion in order of appearance or the ordinary table-of-contents at the beginning of a document wouldn't work. Maybe that's just old imperative thinking vs functional thinking, but some of these temporal issues make it look dysfunctional at times.

What's the right way to think about these issues?

Sorry, I currently have little time to look into this / other
priorities. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Best,
Jean