Re: irrational meters

From: David Poon
Subject: Re: irrational meters
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:50:30 -0800

My $0.02 on terminology: if you think of the maths definition of "irrational" as
"cannot be represented as a ratio of two integers",

we can translate this definition into music as
"cannot be represented as a ratio of an integer and a non-dotted, non-tuplet note value".

I.e., treat the categorisation of integer->rational->irrational from maths as "whole measure"->"basic" notes->"any duration" in music

-David