Re: Slurs not being followed in one vocal part

From: Jon Arnold
Subject: Re: Slurs not being followed in one vocal part
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 20:31:49 -0600

Thanks all! Separating the voices did fix the problem. I used this score a long time ago and then updated the layout, so I feel like an update several years ago must have changed the behavior, which is interesting.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 8:27 PM David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Sun 22 Jan 2023 at 11:59:06 (+1100), Vaughan McAlley wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, 10:32 Jon Arnold, <jonarnoldsemail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey folks-
> >
> > Can anyone tell me why the slurs are not being followed in the soprano
> > part of the attached file? It first occurs in the 2nd half of bar 7, bottom
> > of page 3. It seems to be related to the barLiner function I have (it goes
> > away if I remove it), but I don't understand why this would affect the
> > lyrics.
> >
> > Here's the function:
> > barLiner = {
> >   \repeat unfold 20 { s2 \bar "!" s2. }
> >   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 1/2)
> >   s2 s2
> >   \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3/4)
> >   s2. s2. \bar "|."
> >
> > }
> >
> > This is called with:
> > \new Staff \with {
> >     midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
> >     instrumentName = "Soprano"
> >   } { << \soprano \barLiner >> }
> >   \addlyrics { \sopranoVerse }
> >

> Hi Jon,
>
> I can't remember off the top of my head which Lilypond version things
> changed but explicitly instantiating a voice has fixed this sort of thing
> for me in the past:
>
> } \new Voice { << \soprano \barLiner >> }

You need something more like:

choirPart = \new ChoirStaff <<
  \new Staff \with {
    midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
    instrumentName = "Soprano"
  } <<
    \new Voice { \barLiner }
    \new Voice { \soprano }
    \addlyrics { \sopranoVerse }

  \new Staff \with {
    midiInstrument = "choir aahs"
    instrumentName = "Alto"
  } { \alto }

I presume that \addlyrics gets totally confused when asked to
add lyrics to a construction like { << \soprano \barLiner >> }.
How would it know to use only the \soprano line?

Cheers,
David.