Translating “Extending LilyPond” — any takers?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Translating “Extending LilyPond” — any takers?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 21:06:47 +0100

Hi,

[Sent to lilypond-user, BBCed to lilypond-devel]

After almost two years of promising myself I would integrate
https://extending-lilypond.readthedocs.io/ into the official
LilyPond documentation someday while never doing it, I decided
to officialize the status quo that it would be maintained separately
from the official documentation.

Now that it doesn't have a perspective of being translated inside
the LilyPond documentation anymore, it makes sense to translate it
into other languages in the repository where it lives. Today, I added
a little bit of infrastructure for that and put a stub for a French
translation, which I will probably work on at some point in the coming
months.

If you are interested in translating this into another language,
please let me know. The translation is done in .po files, like
most translation workflows (but not the one for the official
documentation).

Keep in mind that, from my experience, it is necessary to have some
level of familiarity with the content in order to do a translation.

The same goes for https://scheme-tutorial.readthedocs.io/,
which is currently available in English and French. Actually,
this one might be both shorter and less technical for a translator,
and more important to translate. However, the current translation
is from French to English, so I would have to "reverse" it. I'll do
this if anybody is interested in translating it.

Also, trying not to sound pretentious, I do think the extending guide
is not a completely insignificant part of the LilyPond ecosystem
today, as it is basically the only place other than LilyPond's
source code to learn about quite a few programming techniques. For
this reason, I am interested in increasing its bus factor. I'll
gladly grant access to anybody requesting it provided that I have
a little bit of experience working with that person. This applies
to the Scheme tutorial too.

Regards,
Jean