Re: Repeat Segno with MIDI

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Re: Repeat Segno with MIDI
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:01:32 -0500

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 9:59 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

Le 23 janv. 2023 à 15:52, Mats Bengtsson <matben@kth.se> a écrit :

On 2023-01-22 21:17, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Le 22/01/2023 à 21:05, Mark Mathias a écrit :
I'm not seeing a post from anyone else exactly on this issue, so...

I like the new repeat structure:
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/long-repeats#segno-repeat-structure

The example works with the whole note after volta 1, but if you add more notes, change the rhythm, etc., the pdf doesn't display properly and MIDI generates a warning and doesn't execute the repeat properly. If you put curly brackets around the volta 1 section the problem disappears.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something (as usual).

If you don't put the braces in

\volta 1 a4 a a a

it's as if you had written

\volta 1 {
  a4
}
a a a

The question by Mark provides a hint that it would be a good idea to revise the specific example in the manual to use a musical _expression_ that includes the curly braces.

What about submitting a patch?

Jean

Thank you for considering this! It might keep some other benighted soul from wandering around in confusion a bit.
Best Regards,
Mark