Re: fingering and pedal marking questions

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Re: fingering and pedal marking questions
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:57:08 -0500

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 10:37 PM Molly Preston <mollyprestonre@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah I tried that and it didn't look any different to me. I want the sustainOn to be in the middle of the note head.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023, 22:07 Mark Mathias <d8valily@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 7:52 PM Molly Preston <mollyprestonre@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you so much Knute!

I have another question. Is there a way to get the sustain pedal to be directly underneath the note instead of to the left? I tried self-alignment-x = #1, but it didn't change anything.

\version "2.22.2"

leftHand = {
  \clef bass
 e,2 g,  |
}
pedal = {
  \override SustainPedal.self-alignment-X = #0
  s4\sustainOn s4 \sustainOff \sustainOn s4\sustainOff s4
}

\score {

   << \new Staff = "leftHand"  {  \leftHand  }
           \new Dynamics  { \set Score.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket { \pedal } }

}

Thank you again!

Molly

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023, 18:42 Knute Snortum <ksnortum@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 1:07 PM Molly Preston <mollyprestonre@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I'm doing a notation assignment.
>
> 1) How do I get the pedal markings to show up bracket style when using the Dynamics context for it?
>
> 2) How do I get the fingering 1 in the second voice to move above the Staff?

1) Use score context for setting the pedal style
2) I would just put both fingerings in the first voice

Here's what I did with your score.  There were a lot of extraneous
things that I took out.

\version "2.22.2"

rightHand = {
  <<
  {
    % Put both fingerings here
    a'4-1-4 b' c'' dis''
  }
  \\
  {
    e'2

leftHand = {
  \clef bass
  d2 c2 |
}

pedal = {
  % I wasn't sure what you wanted here
  s4\sustainOn s\sustainOff s\sustainOn s\sustainOff
}

\score {

  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff = "rightHand" \rightHand
    \new Staff = "leftHand"  {  \leftHand  }
    % Set pedal style to score context
    \new Dynamics  { \set Score.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket \pedal }

Knute Snortum

Maybe try:

\version "2.22.2"

leftHand = {
  \clef bass
 e,2 g,  |
}
pedal = {
  \override SustainPedal.self-alignment-X = #0
  s16 s16 \sustainOn s8 s4 \sustainOff \sustainOn
  s4\sustainOff s4
}

\score {

   << \new Staff = "leftHand"  {  \leftHand  }
           \new Dynamics  { \set Score.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket { \pedal } }

}

Mark Mathias

I suspected that was too easy. Someone will come up with something more sophisticated for you, no doubt. Anyway, they look different to me, but not different enough to satisfy what you're looking for.