Re: Choir-Parts - working with \tag#' - Mulitmeasure Rests not printed

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Choir-Parts - working with \tag#' - Mulitmeasure Rests not printed
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 11:40:56 +0100

On 27/01/2023 11:06, Christian Hummer wrote:
> Dear specialits,
>
> I'm workin on Choir-Parts with Solists. I store the music in single files
> (e.g. soprano, alto,...). Each of the voices has Solo-Parts while the choir
> is muted. I want to have
>
> 1. the choir partes (print only the choir without the solists' parts)
>
> 2. a paritura for the whole sung parts and the orchestra (print the soli and
> the choir)
>
> I have one single source for the singers (solo and choir) marked with
> \tag#'Solo \tag#'CoroS (as alternative for the choir-parts used for the rests
> when the solist sings and the choir not) and the \tag#'Coro for the choir
> parts.
>
> The idea is as follows:
>
> 1. choir parts
>
>     \removeWithTag#'Solo (skip the solists)
>
>     \keepWithTag#'CoroS (print the rests for the choir while the solits sing)
>
>     \keepWithTag#'Coro (print the choir parts)
>
> ***SEEMS TO WORK: choir-parts without solists and multi measure restes
>

> 2. paritura for all voices (orchestra, solists and choir)
>
>     \keepWithTag#'Solo  (keep solits
>
>     \keepWithTag#'Coro (keep choir = tutti)
>
>     \removeWithTag#'CoroS (skip the alternative rests in the solists' parts)
>
> ***PROBLEM **** This doesn't print solists' parts, but choir parts without
> multi measure rests
>

> I do not see the problem - I tried all combinations. Maybe it's about formal
> logic...
>
> Thanks in advance, cheers, Christian
>

> Here's the minimal example - yes, it's really the minimum in order to
> simulate the solists' and choir parts with the \tag on the lyrics as well...

This is a misunderstanding about what \keepWithTag does. You seem to think
that something like

  \keepWithTag A \keepWithTag B \removeWithTag C \music

would filter music to keep the tags A and B, and remove the tag C.

It doesn't. \keepWithTag doesn't somehow mark this tag as being kept
but *remove* music tagged with *other* tags. So, if in your music
the \tag commands are \tag A, \tag B or \tag C (rather than more
complicated things like \tag A,B), the first \keepWithTag
removes everything with tags B and C, and the second \keepWithTag
removes everything with tags A and C. The result is no tagged
music at all. Try

\keepWithTag A \keepWithTag B \removeWithTag C { \tag A c'^"A" \tag B c'^"B"
\tag C c'^"C" c^"untagged" }

As far as I can tell, you want something like

  \keepWithTag Coro,CoroS ...

to keep Coro and CoroS but remove Solo, and

  \keepWithTag Coro,Solo ...

to keep Coro and Solo but remove CoroS.

Best,
Jean